WiFi onboard SG5999Z

Post anything that do not fall into any existing bus category - appropriate categories will be created if needed.
Tan_CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin
Favourite bus: SBS7777Y

WiFi onboard SG5999Z

Post by Tan_CJ »

Boarded SG5999Z just now at 1620, from Bedok area. Did some WiFi tests while onboard, will post results here.

Connecting to the WiFi network. Using a Windows 10 Mobile device.

Greeted with confirmation screen in the browser. You'll need to select a button before you can continue.

Speed of WiFi while bus was travelling along Changi Road, near the junction where service 25 and 854 turns. Pretty decent for web messaging and light Internet browsing.

Speed test again, this time along Guillemard Road.

To conclude, don't expect to watch 4K videos while taking the bus.
Check out my handmade items at:
https://carousell.com/tan_cj

Tan_CJ

SG iBus for Windows - Search in the Windows Store now!

Windows Store link

fb.com/SGiBusApp

SG1201T Citaro
Pioneers
Favourite bus: MAN Lion's City DD L(SG5999Z)/O530 Citaro(SG1201T)

Re: WiFi onboard SG5999Z

Post by SG1201T Citaro »

While on SG5999Z yesterday, I did my own round of tests as well, and this was the result:
I managed to connect to the wifi from departure from Bedok, connection was relatively stable and fast enough for me to watch Youtube at 720p :lol: However, it is observed that at Bugis, the Wifi signal will get weaker until it cuts out completely; there was no signal from Bugis to after passing by Wheelock Place. After that, another attempt to connect was successful, and the Wifi remained as stable and fast as it was before all the way back to Clementi. Seems like this is also true for the reverse direction, with the Wifi cutting off somewhere near Orchard and only resuming after Bugis. Possibly due to the density of the high-rise structures around SG5999Z which interrupts the signal
Rep buses
MAN Lion's City DD L 3 Door Concept Bus, SG5999Z(BNDEP
)
O530 Citaro, SG1201T(
LYDEP
)
MAN NL323F(A22), SMB235A(ex-WLDEP
)
MAN NG363F(A24), SMB8030X(AMDEP
)
Tan_CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tan_CJ »

SG5999Z A95 wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 7:28 am While on SG5999Z yesterday, I did my own round of tests as well, and this was the result:
I managed to connect to the wifi from departure from Bedok, connection was relatively stable and fast enough for me to watch Youtube at 720p :lol: However, it is observed that at Bugis, the Wifi signal will get weaker until it cuts out completely; there was no signal from Bugis to after passing by Wheelock Place. After that, another attempt to connect was successful, and the Wifi remained as stable and fast as it was before all the way back to Clementi. Seems like this is also true for the reverse direction, with the Wifi cutting off somewhere near Orchard and only resuming after Bugis. Possibly due to the density of the high-rise structures around SG5999Z which interrupts the signal
Was the bus very crowded when the signal gets cut off? Because using Physics, we know that people are like large "water bags", and water isn't too friendly with EM waves (the WiFi uses microwave, the same thing your kitchen appliance uses :lol:). Hence, when the bus is super crowded, it is possible that the between you and the router, the signal becomes so weak that your device can't connect to it.

Tan_CJ
SG1201T Citaro
Pioneers

Post by SG1201T Citaro »

Tan_CJ wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:04 am
SG5999Z A95 wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 7:28 am While on SG5999Z yesterday, I did my own round of tests as well, and this was the result:
Was the bus very crowded when the signal gets cut off? Because using Physics, we know that people are like large "water bags", and water isn't too friendly with EM waves (the WiFi uses microwave, the same thing your kitchen appliance uses :lol:). Hence, when the bus is super crowded, it is possible that the between you and the router, the signal becomes so weak that your device can't connect to it.
Could be a crowd problem rather than a location problem- SG5999Z is at Orchard(where my wifi usually cuts out) and yet the wifi is still relatively stable! The bus is quite empty at this point, on the upper deck there are only 2 other passengers + me and another bus enthusiast who camped at Bedok for SG5999Z
Rep buses
)
O530 Citaro, SG1201T(
LYDEP
)
)
)
SG1201T Citaro
Pioneers

Post by SG1201T Citaro »

As of today(24 Aug 2018), the Wifi has been DISABLED - I tested this while on SG5999Z today but the Wifi was not available
Rep buses
)
O530 Citaro, SG1201T(
LYDEP
)
)
)
Tan_CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tan_CJ »

SG5999Z A95 wrote: Fri Aug 24, 2018 6:13 pm As of today(24 Aug 2018), the Wifi has been DISABLED - I tested this while on SG5999Z today but the Wifi was not available
Oh no. A good thing I did another set of tests a week ago, will post them here soon :)

Tan_CJ
Tan_CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tan_CJ »

Tested the WiFi again on 13 August 2018, this time using a Galaxy S4 running Android 5.0. Below are the results.

The confirmation screen, using the Chrome browser.

Speed measured a while after leaving Clementi Interchange, forgotten exactly where.

Beside a flyover, not bad.

Orchard area. Speed dropped, but still usable. Interestingly, upload speed increased slightly (insignificant). Bus is getting quite crowded, might be the reason why download speed dropped.

Along Bugis area. Speed still pretty decent.

Along Guillemard Road. Not bad for WhatsApp and light browsing.

Conclusion - WiFi is pretty decent, and speeds are relatively stable. The drop in download speed at the Orchard area is insufficient to prove that the speed will drop to an unusable speed, since the download speed averages at Bugis area, where the crowd is probably worse than at Orchard.

Tan_CJ