Ask me anything

Post anything that do not fall into any existing bus category - appropriate categories will be created if needed.
aw123ss5
Bus Captain (SMRT)
Favourite bus: SMB105S

Ask me anything

Post by aw123ss5 »

Hi, a brief introduction of myself.

I am a Bus Captain with SMRT for appx 6 months in now (8 if you count training). I have always been on route 944 and have not change. If you have anything to ask and get a second hand experience, this is the place for you! I will try to be as transparent as possible and answer with my current knowledge. With that said, all these answers are based on my experience, mileage with other BC may vary.

Definitely, questions that I cannot answer will be strategically dealt with. I will try not to leave any question unanswered.

SG iBus for Windows - Search in the Windows Store now!

Windows Store link

fb.com/SGiBusApp

Tan_CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin
Favourite bus: SBS7777Y

Re: Ask me anything

Post by Tan_CJ »

aw123ss5 wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 4:14 pm Hi, a brief introduction of myself.

I am a Bus Captain with SMRT for appx 6 months in now (8 if you count training). I have always been on route 944 and have not change. If you have anything to ask and get a second hand experience, this is the place for you! I will try to be as transparent as possible and answer with my current knowledge. With that said, all these answers are based on my experience, mileage with other BC may vary.

Definitely, questions that I cannot answer will be strategically dealt with. I will try not to leave any question unanswered.
Thank you! I have loads of questions, will post here sometime. Hope you don't mind, as I'm always curious on buses :lol:

(A trivial fact, your post is the 1001st post, according to the post number. Congratulations :lol: )
Check out my handmade items at:
https://carousell.com/tan_cj

Tan_CJ
Tan_CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tan_CJ »

Sometimes I observe people being unable to pay for their bus rides with their contactless cards, due to whatever reasons. Does your company have any SOP for such situations (besides asking them to pay cash)? I saw one such occurrence just now.

Tan_CJ
aw123ss5
Bus Captain (SMRT)

Post by aw123ss5 »

Tan_CJ wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:21 am Sometimes I observe people being unable to pay for their bus rides with their contactless cards, due to whatever reasons. Does your company have any SOP for such situations (besides asking them to pay cash)? I saw one such occurrence just now.
Well, if it is contactless, we will ask them to use their cepas card or pay in cash. We have an SOP in place for these situation, but all in all, what we do is just to call Ops Command for advice.
Tan_CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tan_CJ »

How do you gauge when to turn the bus at tight corners? Do you always look at the mirrors to make sure the rear wheels have crossed the edge?

Tan_CJ
aw123ss5
Bus Captain (SMRT)

Post by aw123ss5 »

Tan_CJ wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 6:40 pm How do you gauge when to turn the bus at tight corners? Do you always look at the mirrors to make sure the rear wheels have crossed the edge?
1. Feel, we have been drilled and trained to navigate tight corners. So sometimes if we don't feel right, we do not carry on.
2. Mirrors. This is the 2nd best way to check if you can clear the corner.
3. If not confident enough, go down and check! See it with your own eyes and make the next adjustment.
Class234
Bus Captain (SMRT)
Favourite bus: NG363F

Post by Class234 »

So you’re based at Kranji,I’m a BC myself approximately around 17 years with all the 4 operators and a few private operators on/off..Right now back with SMRT but more on relax side.If any foreign operators beside SMRT wins Bulim,944 & 991 will be in the package too.I think your next service will be trunk
aw123ss5
Bus Captain (SMRT)

Post by aw123ss5 »

Class234 wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 3:38 am

So you’re based at Kranji,I’m a BC myself approximately around 17 years with all the 4 operators and a few private operators on/off..Right now back with SMRT but more on relax side.If any foreign operators beside SMRT wins Bulim,944 & 991 will be in the package too.I think your next service will be trunk
Hi! It is nice to see a fellow BC here. I admire your service to this industry and with all these events that had unfolded in the past month, I really salute ourself. But I will be furthering my studies at the end of this year and stop my service as a bus captain.

I did learn alot over here as a "public service servant" and I dare say that I am inspired by many people around me in Bukit batok interchange, now with you as another example.

I do hope that another operator do take over Gali batu zone because that is what our government want to do, diversify and make sure there are competition in giving the best to our customers. But that is just my thoughts.

I hope you will carry on and inspire the next generations of bus captains (probably the people who uses this forum). Even when I am out of this industry, I salute to all bus captains!
Class234
Bus Captain (SMRT)
Favourite bus: NG363F

Post by Class234 »

All e best for your future endeavours and yes as how much i love other operators taking over some of the strongest incumbents “Territories”,But again with politics involved it would be very difficult case.Woodlands & Bukit Merah is already status quo package where cross border services is involved.
SBS34D
Pioneers
Favourite bus: MAN buses

Post by SBS34D »

hi Mr Bus Captain, nice to see you here. :D may i know which bus model you prefer to drive and why? Do you do bus interlining duties often or mainly only do s944? For me, I like to travel on MAN A22 euro 5, MB OC500LE.